If you find an injured or sick native animal please contact your local wildlife rescue group. These volunteers are trained to care for native species. They will come and pick up the animal to nurse it back to health.
While you wait, follow their advice - keep the animal warm in a quiet, dark place. Handle it only as much as is absolutely necessary and do not offer it food or water unless advised by the carer.
Australian Capital Territory
- RSPCA Wildlife
RSPCA Wildlife volunteers work with RSPCA-ACT Inc to rescue and rehabilitate wildlife in the ACT.
- ACT Wildlife
They rescue, rehabiltate and release injured wildlife in the ACT.
- Phone: 0432 300 033.
New South Wales
ORRCA is the only wildlife carers group in New South Wales licensed to be involved with marine mammal rescue, rehabilitation and release.
The Wildlife Information and Rescue Service (WIRES) is the largest wildlife rescue organisation in New South Wales.
Sydney, Central Coast & the Hunter
- Colo Heights Wildlife Clinic and Refuge
- Wildlife refuge and clinic.
Colo Heights, NSW
- 24 hr Phone call out: (02) 45650323
- Hunter Koala Preservation Society
- Native Animal Trust Fund
Based in the Hunter region, the Central Coast and Newcastle.
Rescue hotline- Phone: 0418 628 483
- Sydney Metropolitan Wildlife Services
This volunteer organisation is dedicated to caring for Sydney's sick, injured or orphaned native fauna.
Phone: (02) 9413 4300
- Wildlife Aid
Based in the Hunter region.
24/7 Hotline- Phone: 0429 850 089.
- Wildlife Animal Rescue and Care (Wildlife ARC)
- Phone: 02 4325 0666 (24 hours)
- AWARE (Aust. Wildlife Ambulance Rescue Service)
- PO Box 592, Caringbah
Phone: 02 9525 0010
branches around Sydney, Hunter and Illawarra
Ph: (13 000 WIRES) 1300 094 737
Mid North Coast & Northern New South Wales
- Northern Rivers Wildlife Carers
- Australian Seabird Rescue
- F.A.W.N.A (NSW) Inc. (For Australian Wildlife Needing Aid)
- Friends of the Koala
- Waterways Wildlife Park(Gunnedah)
Phone: 02 6742 1826
- Northern Tablelands Wildlife Carers
- Tweed Valley Wildlife Carers
- Wildlife Carers of Glen Innes (WCGI)
Phone: 02 6732 2771
branches in Northern NSW
Ph: (13 000 WIRES) 1300 094 737
Southern New South Wales
- Looking After Our Kosciuszko Orphans (LAOKO)
- Wildlife Rescue South Coast
0418 427 214
- Wildcare (Queanbeyan inc)
Ph: (02) 62991966
branches in Southern NSW
Ph: (13 000 WIRES) 1300 094 737
- Native Animal Rescue Group (NARG)
P.O. Box 24, Majors Creek NSW 2622
Wildlife emergency and information 24/7 hotline: 02 4846 1900
Western New South Wales
- Lachlan Wildlife Carers
- 'Revenue', Condobolin 2877
- Rescue and Rehabilitation of Australian Native Animals(RRANA)
- PO Box 5089, South Broken Hill
- Phone: 04 2920 4416
- RSPCA Australian Capital Territory Inc.
- Sunraysia Wildlife Carers Group
- PO Box 189, Gol Gol 2738
- Wildlife Carers Network (Central West)
- PO Box 787, Mudgee 2850
- Phone: 02 6374 4286.
branches in Western NSW
Ph: (13 000 WIRES) 1300 094 737
- Wildcare Inc is a non-profit organisation, which provides a support network for carers of sick, injured and orphaned wildlife. The primary objective is to rehabilitate and release these animals back into their natural habitat and to raise community awareness concerning the care and conservation of native animals.
Phone: 08 8988 6121
- Wildlife Rescue
Emergency Hotline 0409 090 840
Large or dangerous animals phone: 1800 453 210
- Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service
24 hour Emergency Hotline: 1300 130 372
- Brisbane Area Rescue Network
24 hour Hotline: 0405 056 066
- Granite Belt Wildlife Carers Inc
Based in Stanthorpe, SE Qld. Looking after animals specific to the Granite Belt area. Rescue boundaries are the NSW border, Texas, Allora, Warwick, Killarney, Liston and Stanthorpe.
- Wildlife Wanderer's Carers Group Association Inc.
24 hour service out of Nanango; covering; Benarkin, Brooklands, Blackbutt, Bunya Mountains, Cooyar, Goodger, Yarraman, Maidenwell, Kingaroy, Goomeri, Bell, Kumbia, Crawford, Memerambi, Nanango, Wooroolin, Wattlecamp, Tingoora, Kilkivan, Tansey, Wondai, Coolabunia, Ellesmere
Emergency Hotline: 0447 196 704
- Redlands Wildlife Rescue
- Return to the Wild inc. is a not-for-profit organisation specialising in the rescue and care of koalas (and the odd wombat) on the Darling Downs.
- ONARR Orphan Native Animal Rear and Release
Rescues, rears, rehabilitates and releases orphaned wildlife in the greater SE Qld area
- FAUNA Fostercare of Australia's Unique Native Animals Association Inc
- Far North Queensland Wildlife Rescue
- Bat Rescue Inc
Cares for sick, injured and orphaned bats - Sunshine Coast and Brisbane
- ARROW Australian Rescue and Rehabilitation of Wildlife Association Inc
Rescue, care and release sick, injured or orphaned native wildlife
24 hour Hotline: 0430 904 415
- Bat Conservation & Rescue QLD. INC.
- Species dedicated organisation covers greater Brisbane region for bats - microbats and flying-foxes.
- NQ Wildlife Care Inc.
- Based in Townsville, this group covers west to Charters Towers, north to Cardwell and south to Bowen. Ph: 0414 717 374.
- Queensland Wildlife Carers and Volunteers Association Inc - Please phone 4159 6431 to contact a local wildlife carer in Bundaberg, Childers, Gin Gin, Rosedale or Agnes Water.
- Ipswich Koala Protection Society Inc
- Wildlife Volunteers Association Inc - covers Caboolture to Gympie and west from those areas. 24 hour hotline: 07 5441 6200.
- Wildcare Australia Inc. - Located in south-east Queensland. 24 hour emergency hotline: 07 5527 2444.
- Return to the Wild Inc.
- Located in the Toowoomba, Crows Nest area of the Darling Downs in Queensland. Rescue phone number: 0427 969 860.
- Native Animal Network Inc.
08 8388 6944
08 8280 7223
- Bird Care and Conservation Society Inc.
- Fauna Rescue of SA Inc.
- Phone: 0402 063 173 or 0411 455 040.
- South East Native Animal Rescue Network
08 8726 8199, 08 8735 1177 or 08 8736 3228
- Wildlife Welfare Organisation (SA) Inc.
Wildlife information or emergencies. Phone: 0434 114 628 (Native birds & seabirds only)
- Wombat Awareness Organisation
- Alexandrina Wildlife Support Group Inc.
12 Corio Terrace, Goolwa SA 5214
PO Box 336, Goolwa SA 5214
Mainly covers the district of Alexandrina Council area including Goolwa, Port Elliott, Middleton, Currency Creek, Strathalbyn, Mount Compass as well as Victor Harbor.
This organisation rescues, cares for and rehabilitates kangaroos, possums, echidnas, freshwater turtles, reptiles and some birds. It can also rescue and assess koalas. Any needing more care are forwarded to Fauna Rescue of SA.
Phone: 08 8555 1657 or 0419 551 653.
- Parks & Wildlife Service
Injured wildlife hotline: (03) 61654305
- Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary
24 hour wildlife rescue: 03 6268 1184
- Central North Wildlife Care and Rescue
- Wildlife & Snake Rescue & Bush Babies Refuge
- Southern Wildlife Rescue & Care
Phone: 0409551288 or 0466888107.
- Help for Wildlife is a 24 Hour State-wide Wildlife Emergency Service which is a voluntary, community based, non-profit, non-political organization established in 1995 to assist with distressed wildlife on all levels.
- AWARE Wildlife Rescue is a 24 Hour rescue and rehabilitation organisation operating in Frankston.
- Phone: 0412 433 727
- Wildlife Victoria is a state-wide volunteer wildlife rescue and rehabilitation organisation who run a 24-hour emergency phone number for people who have come across injured, sick or orphaned wildlife.
- Wildlife Rescue & Information Network Inc. Rescue WRIN
WRIN inc. is an organisation dedicated to the rescue and rehabilitation of native fauna found injured, sick or orphaned anywhere in Victoria. Its members are all volunteers.
- BADGAR Emergency Wildlife Rescue
24 hours a day, 7 days a week, the BADGAR team rescuers work tirelessly to help restore the balance for our wildlife that has been injured, orphaned or is sick
- Wildlife Rescue North East Victoria (NEV)
NEV is a group of volunteers who give their time and patience to care for and rehabilitate thousands of injured and sick native animals each year.
- RACV Wildlife Connect
Following the bushfires, RACV established Wildlife Connect where callers are connected to a volunteer wildlife carer for help and advice on injured wildlife found on the roads.
Phone: 13 11 11
- Wildlife Rescue Emergency Service
rescue service for injured wildlife in central Victoria
- Wildlife of Werribee
- Wildlife Out West is a 24–hour, self-funded volunteer wildlife shelter of passionate Volunteers who Rescue, Rehabilitate and enjoy our Native Wildlife within our local communities.
- Wildlife Rescuers
- The Wildlife Rescuers are a dedicated group of 100% volunteers that specialise in the rescue and rehabilitation of native Australian wildlife in the northern suburbs of Melbourne.
- South Oakleigh Wildlife Group
- 24/7 service to help injured native animals in South Eastern Metropolitan Melbourne. They are a non-profit organisation run by volunteers who rescue, rehabilitate and release orphaned an injured wildlife.
Phone: 0411 600 591
- F.A.W.N.A (WA) Inc. (Fostering and Assistance for Wildlife Needing Aid)
- WILDCARE Helpline
The Western Australian Department of Environment and Conservation runs the WILDCARE Helpline. It operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, diverting to after hours numbers at nights and weekends, to provide immediate assistance. Volunteers handle telephone inquiries and refer callers to one of 340 registered wildlife rehabilitators who take care of the animal before releasing it back into its native Habitat.
- Native Animal Rescue
Native Animal Rescue support vets will treat injured native wildlife for no charge and arrange for a wildlife carer to collect the animal for rehabilitation and release. Find the nearest support vet on this list.
- Native Arc
Caring for injured, orphaned and sick wildlife with the hopes of rehabilitating them and successfully returning them to their natural habitat.
- Phone: (08) 94177105
- Kanyana Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre Inc.
Kanyana provides advice and assistance seven days a week 8.30AM -6.30PM.
- Phone: (08) 9291 3900